Getting paid to watch Netflix might sound like a pipe dream, and most of us turn on Netflix when we want to switch off and tune out from our working life and the daily grind.
But you can turn your leisure activity into a great way to make some extra cash by actually being paid to watch movies and shows on Netflix.
There are, in fact, various ways that you can get paid just by watching Netflix and performing a few tasks related to the shows you watch. In this article, we will explain precisely how you can get paid to watch Netflix in 2023.
Can You Get Paid for Watching Movies, Shows, and Videos?
It may sound surprising, but yes, you can get paid for having fun binge-watching movies, documentaries, shows, and videos on Netflix. You don’t necessarily have to work for Netflix to be paid, as various part-time opportunities are also available.
There are also numerous ways to get paid watching other movies, shows, and videos that you won’t find on Netflix.
Although it isn’t typically as simple as just watching the shows, there are specific tasks you will be expected to perform, such as tagging content, rating shows, and writing reviews.
Do You Get Paid for Being on Netflix?
Getting paid to watch Netflix and do tasks is one thing; getting paid for just being on Netflix is something entirely different.
Technically you can’t get paid just for watching Netflix and chilling, but you can get paid for watching certain shows on Netflix and other channels and performing tasks like reviewing these shows, adding comments, or tagging content.
Some ways to get paid include taking up official positions at Netflix, while other online apps and websites also offer you the chance to get paid for watching videos, shows, and movies.
Alternatively, if you want to get paid while you watch Netflix at home, you could consider just doing some light, brainless tasks on your phone, such as completing surveys, browsing the web, or playing games.
We will go into more detail below about how you can get paid to do these tasks.
How Can You Make Money from Netflix?
You probably already have a Netflix account, but now that you know that you can legitimately get paid for watching Netflix on that account, you may have found a new career path.
Here are three legitimate roles that Netflix offers as a way to get paid by watching your favorite shows.
1. Get paid to watch Netflix officially by becoming a Netflix Tagger
Netflix pays people to tag programs for them. Fans of Netflix shows can get paid simply by flagging parts of the content.
- What is it called when you get paid to watch Netflix? People who tag content on Netflix are known as Netflix taggers, editorial analysts, or creative analysts.
- What is a Netflix Tagger? Taggers work and earn money by tagging films and shows with various metadata and labels. This metadata allows Netflix to gather important information about the shows on this channel. Without these tags, it would be challenging for Netflix users to find the relevant shows.
- How to become a Netflix Tagger? The only way to become a Netflix Tagger at the moment is through the official Netflix jobs site. It’s a good idea to bookmark the site and check it weekly to see if any positions have become available.
You’ll want to have a stellar resume ready that you can send out asap to stand out from the crowd of people applying for this position. Be sure to include any film and media, and writing experience in your CV.
- What are the qualifications of a Netflix Tagger? Unfortunately, just watching Netflix isn’t the only requirement needed to become a Netflix Tagger. While Netflix doesn’t detail the exact qualifications you’ll need to nap this job, some Netflix Taggers have mentioned that they have screenwriting and film and media degrees.
- What are the responsibilities of a Netflix Tagger? Netflix taggers are responsible for adding important information to movies and series, such as the year the show came out, the languages in the film, the directors and cast members, and whether viewers can expect any profanity or sex scenes.
- How much do Netflix Taggers get paid? Netflix taggers get paid about $500 for three shows. They sometimes also receive allowances for food like pizza to have the ultimate pizza and movie night. However, you might also need to provide a review or evaluation of the food you receive.
- Where to apply? To see any current openings for Netflix taggers, you need to visit the Netflix careers portal and search for openings under tagger, editorial analysts, or creative analysts. Unfortunately, there aren’t always openings, and when there are, they tend to get snatched up quickly.
2. Become a Netflix channel manager
Netflix has various YouTube channels, and they employ team members to help the company manage these channels.
As a channel manager, you would be responsible for writing description, creating thumbnails, and choosing promotional clips, all of which includes watching tons of Netflix videos to do your job.
3. Translate and subtitle Netflix movies
If you speak multiple languages, you could get a job at Netflix translating movies and adding subtitles.
Netflix’s standards for this type of work are very high, so you will need to show some experience doing this type of work for other companies in order to land this job.
Are There Other Ways to Get Paid for Watching Netflix?
If you can’t find a job opening as a Netflix tagger or channel manager right now, there are still other ways that you can get paid just for binge-watching Netflix.
Swagbucks is a website that rewards you for doing tasks such as completing surveys, playing games, watching videos, or reviewing films.
Some of these tasks include watching specific shows and movies on Netflix. You can choose the videos you want to watch based on fashion, health, hobbies, parenting, music, politics, and more.
The points you earn doing these tasks can be cashed out in real money or converted into gift cards for many major retailers, such as Amazon, iTunes, and Home Depot. You may just need to hit a certain threshold before you can cash out.
But seeing as it’s free to sign up for Swagbucks, you do not have anything to lose. You will even get a $5 or $10 welcome incentive just for signing up.
MyPoints is similar to Swagbucks in that you can earn points for performing specific tasks, such as watching videos, through the site.
However, the difference here is that you can’t just watch individual videos; you need to stick to one of the MyPoints playlists. Once you have completed the playlist, you will receive your points.
MyPoints also has a MyPoints TV App to watch the videos on your mobile device if you don’t have a laptop, tablet, or smart TV.
Some other methods of earning points through MyPoints include completing surveys, playing games, clipping coupons, online shopping through the app, and downloading other apps listed on their site.
InboxDollars is an app that will pay you to watch videos and add your comments to them.
Videos are categorized into topics like celebrities, food, news, health, and technology. Most of the videos do include adverts which you will be required to watch before the video begins.
The great thing about InboxDollars is that you can withdraw your earnings to PayPal rather than just accumulating points you would have to convert to gift cards. However, you will need to earn at least $30 before InboxDollars can pay you out.
7. Write Netflix Movie Reviews
You could create your own blog or YouTube channel to review the latest Netflix movies. Once you get a following, you can put adverts on your channels and draw an income from these ads.
You could also get certain companies to sponsor your content or add referral and affiliate links. You will get a commission every time a user clicks on a link or purchases a particular product or service.
You can also become an official reviewer on a movie review website like Cultured Vultures. These websites will pay you for your reviews when they receive a certain number of page views.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can you really make money by watching shows and videos?
As you can see, aside from Netflix, there are other ways that you can get paid for watching videos and shows online.
If you don’t have time to watch an entire movie or binge-watch a series, the above options allow you the opportunity to watch short video clips as and when it is convenient for you.
And how much you earn will be dependent on how much time you can commit to those channels.
How can you get paid for watching videos and shows online?
Not so keen on any of the above ideas or want to discover even more ways that you can get paid while partaking in your favorite hobby of watching shows and videos online? We have listed some additional ideas you could try below.
- Become a film and TV reviewer if you love writing; this could be a good task for you. If you’re serious about earning money this way, you’ll need to put in a lot of hard work and dedication as this is a very competitive industry.
- Nielsen Computer and Mobile Panel are known for their excellent rewards program. They will pay you to gather information about your website data, such as your internet speed and how you use the internet. You can also earn up to $50 a year just by watching videos and adding reviews through them.
- Viggle is an exclusively mobile phone app that includes shows from genuine programmers like HBO, the Disney Channel, and AMC. The shows you can view will be determined based on your location settings, and the points you earn watching videos can be redeemed via gift cards.
- Fiverr is a marketplace where freelancers can find work. Through Fiverr, you might discover aspiring YouTubers or filmmakers looking to pay people to watch their videos to build up a following or provide feedback on their films. This is a great way to get paid to watch videos while building up your reputation as a movie reviewer.
- Vindale Research pays its users to watch movies and then answer surveys about those films. Unlike some of the sites mentioned above, you need to qualify to get paid by Vindale Research. The videos are usually short, but the pay is not much, around $0.05 per video. You will also receive a sign-up bonus of $1.
- User Testing is another method of being paid to watch videos. All you need to do is give your opinion on the videos you watch online or the products you try. User testers can earn up to $30 an hour just for trying out new things.
- Earnably is another reward and cashback site where you can earn points for doing tasks like taking surveys, clipping coupons, and of course, watching videos. These points can be redeemed for gift cards or converted into cash for payouts via PayPal. Unlike other sites, Earnably’s minimum payout is just $1.
- AdWallet will pay you to watch adverts and answer questions about those videos. It is a straightforward way to make money, and for every task you complete, you will get up to $3, which is quite a bit more than similar services. Once you have accumulated $10, you can cash out your money in gift cards.
- IRazoo is one of the world’s most popular reward programs. Like the others mentioned above, iRazoo will give you cash and gift card rewards for completing specific tasks online, such as completing surveys and watching videos. These videos include movie trailers, advertisements, short films, and cooking tutorials.
New content is uploaded every day to this site, so you’re guaranteed never to get bored.
Can you get paid to watch Hallmark movies?
This past December, Reviews.org was looking for a Chief Holiday Cheermeister to watch 25-holiday movies in 25 days, and in exchange, the site would pay you $100 per movie. That’s $2500 just for watching movies.
As the movies were on Hallmark, Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Apple TV+, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO Max, you would also get a free year’s worth of subscription to these channels.
While the gig has unfortunately passed, keep an eye out for similar opportunities on their site in the future.
Make Money to Watch Netflix or Short Videos in Your Spare Time
As you can see, there are various ways that you can get paid to watch Netflix and videos in your spare time. If you already spend a lot of your day binge-watching Netflix, then you might as well make money from this hobby.
From looking out for official Netflix postings as a tagger or channel manager to signing up to sites like Swagbucks, My Points, and Inbox Dollars, there are various ways you can make money by watching movies. You could even forge your career path as a movie reviewer.
Have you ever been paid to watch movies or series online? We would love to hear your experiences and more about where you found such a sweet gig in the comments below.